The drilling of boreholes for geothermal energy is the most difficult part of the ground source heat pump installation. The geology of Great Britain is as diverse and complex as anywhere in the world so it is essential that the correct drilling method is used in the appropriate geological and site conditions. TND Drilling have the equipment, skills and experience to deliver this for you.
Geothermal Drilling Rig
TND Drilling provide dedicated services for the drilling and installation of geothermal holes, grouting the hole, header pipe work insulation using electro fusion joints and the thermal response test if required.
TND drilling work with both commercial and domestic clients servicing the full spectrum of clients ranging from multi hole jobs for multinational companies to single hole domestic clients.
We work with lots of accredited MCS registered companies so we can also offer full turnkey packages utilising the best choice of system to suit the project using Dimplex, Vaillant, Worcester Bosch, Kensa or NIBE heat pumps throughout the UK.
Once the geothermal boreholes are installed following the Vertical Borehole Standards issued by the GSHPA in September 2011 they are pressure and flow tested before grouting. They are further tested on completion to ensure the system has no leak. This test is witnessed by a the client as part of the handover documentation.
If TND Drilling are required to install the header pipe work this will also be pressure tested and certified, pipe work if required can then be sanitised and flushed before the final addition of the heat transfer fluid ready for connection to the ground source heat pump but this is the client’s decision.
We offer two main loops to our customers:
Standard geothermal loops
Our standard loops our manufactured from Virgin Grade Black PE100 High Performance Polyethylene. All Probes are marked with the length stamps each meter, PN and SDR stamps, manufacturer name, and batch certificate with each individual Probe.
All REHAU PE-RC and PE100 Probes come complete with SKZ certification on every probe. The probe tip includes vertical ribbing and is arrowed for a safer installation. This ribbing provides more secure mechanical protection for the welded probe tip.
Advantages of the raugeo pe-xa probe:
- No need for joints in the soil ensures highest operational reliability
- PE-Xa material is not sensitive to notches and grooves
- Optimal safety during insertion into the borehole
- Simple insertion even into the tightest boreholes
- Constant operating temperatures -40°C to 95°C
- Stable up to temperatures of 95°C, thus the RAUGEO PE-Xa probe can be used for heat storage purposes
- Extremely tight bending radii
- No need for sand backfill, simply use as dug material thereby reducing the requirement for lorries carrying imported backfill
- Probe base is protected by a special tough resin
- Can be connected by means of Electrofusion sleeve or by means of REHAU – compression sleeve under all climatic conditions
- Residential or Commercial – Geoexchange cooling / heating system or ground energy storage (solar energy, waste heat)
- Crack growth at FNCT (full notch creep test) – NO FAILURE
- Available in sizes up to a staggering 800m
- £10,000 consequential loss cover per probe